Tuesday, February 20, 2007

One of "those" days

Ever feel like you can't remember why you do what you do? Today was one of those days...
I know I know...I'm ashamed to admit it. But several times today I questioned my skill as a mother. Surely I was convinced that I would be better suited for any job than this (aside from the obvious-snake wrangling, and sky diving).
Of course all my woes were intensified when my husband successfully put Lincoln down to sleep for the night with little coaxing or crying (although I'm sure an entire day of screaming at me broke his spirited will just slightly).
What is it about parenting that makes it so challenging?
Maybe it's the fact that I'm walking up the stairs in my pajamas at 8:00 this morning trying to juggle a baby, a cup of coffee and a handful of puke without dropping any of the three on the carpet all the while wishing I had one of those jobs where I get to wear expensive shoes and have an "inbox".
Or maybe it's the fact thatthe second I got a minute of free time I needed to decide which was important enough to do, brush my teeth, wash my face, or make the bed (will you believe I made the bed?)
Whatever the reason...today was a challenge.
I must admit though, that I'm grateful for it.
I can look back at the times that I've been through challenges in the past and realize the way God used the circumstance to make me into a better woman. Hopefully I'll get to the point someday where I don't need quite as many challenges because I don't have quite as far to go...but I don't see that happening any time in the near future.
So you may be wonndering what it is I learned through my crazy child screaming his brains out, no minute of free time, dishes in the sink, is it 5:00 yet day?
(I feel a top ten list coming on)
10. Get up earlier than Lincoln....every single day
9. Pray more
8. Curse less
7. Let go of the small stuff (like combing my hair)
6. Take myself less seriously (especially when I've just been spit up on)
5. Remember it could be worse...twins?
4. Remember it could be worse...a high schooler?
3. Thank God for all the other days...that aren't like this.
2. Know that God gives me grace to handle whatever is dealt to me.
1. Keep in mind....he has to sleep sometime!
Someone remind me of this when he's making this face...

No comments: