Wednesday, February 28, 2007

It's a great big world out there



Lincoln has officially discovered the wonderful world of mobility, though he still is having a hard time figuring out the difference between going forward and going backward.
It's an amazing thing to watch a little one explore the world they live in, as the bounds of the confined circle they were once limited to come crashing down around them-unveiling more than they knew existed. The best part is that the new realm doesn't reveal a stark, bland, boring existence--but rather a bright, bouncy, beautiful possibility.
Curiosity frequently gets the better of him (and unfortunately falls on his head sometimes) but nonetheless there is much to enjoy and discover. It begs the question at what age did I stop discovering the wonderful joys this world has to offer and why?
At what point did I become so bored with the everyday that I failed to see life and God's creation like Lincoln does...one opportunity after another.
And when, especially, did I stop taking the time to be thankful for the playground I live in, knowing that God established it for our enjoyment. Am I so arrogant that I actually think I've discovered all this world could show me and I'm no longer interested in it? Watching Lincoln carefully turn a spoon in his hand to attempt to learn all about it, or drinking water from mommy's cup like it tastes better, or better yet pulling himself up to standing and acting like he wants to let out a Tarzan yell or beat his chest like a gorilla in triumph. It's all so new and wonderful. To think he's never discovered the phone table...or the kitchen cabinets or (thank God) the toilet.
Having a child will give you new eyes.

1 comment:

Ben & Melissa said...

Just a little note to remind you that I love to read your blog! You write in a very engaging way, and I always look forward to hearing what is happening in your life. Thanks for sharing these snapshots into your daily world. Miss you! ~Melissa