Thursday, October 05, 2006

It's my blog...I'll preach if I want to.


So, I'm going through this Bible study now, and it's awesome.
Yesterday, the writer was talking about how we need to believe what God says, and she was talking about how we need a visual reminder of who we are as God's people. So in Numbers (a book of the Bible) here's what it says, bear with me (I'm using a super easy to read version so you stay awake):
God spoke to Moses: "Speak to the People of Israel. Tell them that from now on they are to make tassels on the corners of their garments and to mark each corner tassel with a blue thread. When you look at these tassels you'll remember and keep all the commandments of God, and not get distracted by everything you feel or see that seduces you into infidelities. The tassels will signal remembrance and observance of all my commandments, to live a holy life to God. I am your God who rescued you from the land of Egypt to be your personal God. Yes, I am God, your God." Numbers 15:37-41 (The Message)

Okay, so we were supposed to have some sort of blue ribbon around our wrists to remember this...I dusted off my old "friendship bracelet" skills and there you go---it's no boondoggle, but what is? Except for a boondoggle I mean. (sorry the pic is a little blurry, only had one free hand to work the camera...obviously).
Anyways, what am I supposed to remember you ask?
Well, the verse is a little old, since our salvation doesn't come from keeping all the commandments any more (Thank God...literally), instead it comes from grace, and our faith in God's grace. But the verse says to "not get distracted by everything you feel or see that seduces you into infidelities".
Hmmm...what does that mean.
For me, I get distracted by fear (fear of death, of losing someone, of losing control, of being in danger etc.) I get distracted by what I want (more of everything, clothes, shoes, stuff, junk etc.) all these things seduce me into the infidelity of thinking that my life is in this world (and here's where I'll sound a little like a fanatic) and it's not.
My life in this world is like a prefix to the fact that I will live forever. Didn't C.S. Lewis describe it as just "The title page in the book of Life?"
So that doesn't mean I stop shopping at Old Navy (never!) or don't go to the gym because this world doesn't matter (it does matter) it's just the beginning though. And if I can look at my wrist and remember the most important thing in my life (more than Lincoln, John, stuff, or junk, more than making a difference, being cool, popular, unique, or important) if I can remember my God, and the LOVE (L-O-V-E) that he has for me, and I have for him,
THEN...
I'm living for the very purpose I was created for.
Call me a fanatic, fundamentalist, Bible-thumper, Baptist (uh-oh) whatever, I don't care. I want a life of reckless abandon and total passionate pursuit of loving Christ, because it's not just "church"...if it's true...and all we believe or say we believe is really what we believe...then it's THE most important thing in the history of the universe and I should act like it right?
Now that I've said all this to everyone that knows me best, I better be sure that my theology is matching my reality right? When I'm griping, down in the dumps, feeling soggy or cranky-when Linc's creaming his head off---remind me to look at my bracelet okay? Cause Lord knows, I need help remembering.
Now come on, if anyone's even out there in cyber land, and for whatever reason is reading what I'm writing in my little bathroom tile sized piece of the universe....
Can I hear an "Amen"?

No comments: