Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Da Dum Da Da Dum Da Da Dum Da Dum

That's the Rocky theme song, for those of you who don't know...
I must admit. I was nothing short of reluctant (okay, I was down right protesting) when John wanted to see the newest Rocky movie. "Give me a break" I thought, "Slyvester Stallone...acting....again....please!"
Granted, I had never seen any of the other Rocky movies, and my knowledge of Rocky was limited to "Yo! Adrian!" and some american flag boxing shorts. But I must say, it was a good thing I was watching the movie alone in my living room because by the last round of the fight I was yelling at the t.v. and cheering Rocko on with everyone else....I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I am now a HUGE Rocky fan. I've become a little....how do you say...obsessed? with the whole series.
And, much to John's enjoyment, have wanted to rent all the old Rocky movies and sit through them (If only I'd get into Rambo now right John?) Anyways, there's just something...(I'm out of elaborate words here) cool...about Rocky kicking everyone's butt, not to mention the unbelievable characters that are in the movies. I mean, come on...Mick? He's amazing. Who can say the things he says and get away with it? No one!
So in honor of my new Stallone fetish, I will recall the top ten Rocky moments for you...please, feel free to patron your local video rental establishment to relive the magic (keep in mind I'm only on The 4th one...so there is much more to come.

10. Apollo Creed- in general. Especially when he comes out like Washington crossing the Delaware in those weird patriotic boxers.

9. Rocky with his pet turtles (link and cuff). How perfect.
8. The scene where Paulie is yelling at Adrian through the bedroom door to go out with Rocky (and Rocky is sitting in the living room).
7. Little Marie saying "screw you creepo" to Rocky when he walks her home...what a line right?
6. Mick saying "you gotta eat lightnin' and crap thunder" Not sure what that means, but like I said...only Mick.

5. In Rocky 3 when all the kids start chasing after Rocky and running miles and miles from home to follow him. Where were these kids parents?
4. Of course, Apollo Creed going on and on about the "eye of the tiger" business, which by the way is an exceptional song.
3. Clubber Lang--the scariest opponent yet. I pity the fool! Note: this has also sparked the nicknames around our home for Mikey (the fat cat) whom we call "Blubber Lang" and John, whom I affectionately refer to as "Hubber Lang".

2. Certainly, Rocky running up the stairs and dancing around and punching at the air when he gets to the top---that's classic.

1. Rocky yelling "Adrian-we did it!" at the end of Rocky 2 (don't tell John I told you, but I wasn't the only one tearing up ;)
Needless to say, I love these flicks. They also inspire me when I'm doing my combat kickboxing class at the gym (yes I totally pretend like I'm fighting Clubber Lang). If you haven't seen them...go...now....
stop reading.

1 comment:

Ben & Melissa said...

I have always been a huge Rocky fan. We watched the movies often in my house growing up (I wonder why my parents let me do that?). So, welcome to the fan club, my friend! I enjoyed your top 10 list. :-)