Thursday, November 16, 2006

Restless Evil full of Deadly Poison


Yikes!
God has really been laying on my heart recently the dire need I have to work on controlling my mouth. My friend Nicole would say I "need a filter" (meaning between my brain and my mouth). I was reading my Bible this morning--specifically these verses:
"If any think they are religious and do not bridle their tongues but decieve their hearts, their religion is worthless."
James 1:26
and
"No one can tame the tongue--a restless evil, full of deadly poison."
James 2:8
Scary huh? I was so convicted my thinking of all the times I've gosspied, complained (even on this blog) grumbled, griped and nagged and just been plain rude and unkind and I chalk it up to "just being honest". I am so immature. It's amazing how many of my problems could be less complicated or avoided altogether if I would just learn to control myself a little more. I had a dream about rattlesnakes last night...one of my great fears. The thought makes me squirm--so when I read this verse this morning and realized what I am capable (and sometimes all too comfortable) with--I was quickly ashamed. I need to ask for forgiveness from all of you in this area. I know I have, on more than one occasion, given myself over to lax or even malicious words, and I hate this part of myself. Thank Jesus Christ for grace that is afforded to me and the liberty that comes from knowing that my salvation and eternity are secure (and it's not because of me). The verse that struck me the hardest I think is Luke 6:45:
"It is out of the adundance of the heart that the mouth speaks."
Wow!! So the thing that I need to be working on the most is the condition of my heart and the state that I allow it to be in. Mainly I think through what I feed into my mind. Complaints, gossip, profanity etc. This all manifests in my heart until
B--L---E---H!
There I go again spitting out awful things.
Lord, Please give me grace in this area and help me learn to control the words that I speak. I know I can bring great joy to your heart through my words, or destruction to my life and the lives of those I care about from it. I trust you to give me the strength to overcome it. And give me grace in the times I am struggling or fall short to remember your forgiveness toward me. Amen, Amen, Amen.

No comments: